Thursday, February 21, 2008

What else is new?

Guys, it's been hard to find time to post. I don't even want to do it now... we got the hoopla with the class back on campus figured out: we have a new prof who apparently wants us dead. We have five books to read and questions to answer and mini-tests and all sorts of intensity. So I'm trying to work ahead in Arden's classes so I can have time to get out of this building in future months.

Work has gotten back to normal, lunch rush is on and I finally feel like I know what I'm doing just about everywhere. Though sometimes we work all day and then we just have dinner and work on homework that I almost don't get out of the bulding, so I try to take a point to take a walk at some point in the day and I usually visit the Dominican church down on the Claddagh, or another Catholic church up on Canal Rd or the Cathedral. They're great places to sit and just think (or just sit), pray and read. A couple days ago I went to the the Cathedral, and even though I had been there and knew what to expect, I still gawked in awe and nearly gasped at the beautiful architecture. I shuffled to a seat in the middle and sat just looking around while listening to a man and woman trade off Hail Marys. After they had finished, I read Colossians and felt comforted by verse 29 of the first chapter which says “To this end I labor, struggling with all His energy, which works so powerfully in me.” Lately, I’ve been trying to struggle in my own power in this ministry and in preparation for camp this summer. My co-director and I chatted online the other night about some of this and we realized we were trying to do too much in our own power. It’s so good to know that even though we labor, we can struggle with the energy that created the Sun, hurricanes, the ocean, and swans, seagulls, and little Irish school kids. There are so many things that I do that I could not do without the help of God.
For example, tonight we started up group Scripture memorization and I know that’s one thing I do not have the discipline to do on my own. We’re working on the parable of the persistent widow in Luke 18 as a part of the camp curriculum on justice for this summer. Ben and Kelsie have graciously allowed me to choose the material to memorize so I can prepare myself for later ministry. Sneaky huh?

We had our lunch with Adrian today and he gave us some good advice about where to go on our next adventure- we looked into caves nearby (that are only open in the summer, it seems) and he even offered to drive us to Croagh Patrick because he loves hiking there himself. I know we would enjoy having him along. He’s such a joker! So hopefully we will go there one of these days and you can get some more pictures.

This weekend I have Saturday off and there's some sort of conference our cell group is going to in Oranmore, so I think I'm going to that. Dr. Harbin comes next week with our books (ah!) and advice on where to go spelunking hopefully!

No comments: