We had a very nice evening train ride from Caen to Angers filled with good conversation and looking out the window at France all the while Devon being more confused that I was about where she was. We past some church and she thought it was the Norman coastal town of Mont St. Michel- we were so far from there... oh Devo.
We were picked up in the Angers train station by Devon's French boyfriend, Pierre-Charles who thankfully does speak English. He drove us to his flat for dinner where we had some pizza and rice au lait from his parents' dairy farm in Bretagne. He also gave us some fresh milk which was so rich and fantastic and amazing. Being a long day, we retired to Devon's apartment and fell asleep.
The next day (Wednesday the 26th) was a glorious day of touring through Angers with Devon showing me all the famous places and her favorite spots. We saw cathedrals and old streets, her favorite parks and places to run (with beautiful spring flowers in bloom) and she took me to this cozy little restaurant that was very fancy and snobbish looking, but the prices were quite decent and we had a three course glorious French meal complete with all the things French do like bread and cheese, and the very best chocolate mousse I had ever tasted. After that we went to le Chateau d'Angers (it amuses me how the French "of Angers" looks like "dangers"!) where we toured around and saw good views of the city, tapestries depicting Revelation, and found a sweet echo spot inside of a tower where you could hear your voice as if you were miked and we sang Come Thou Fount. It was awesome.
We made ourselves a nice dinner of fresh bread and fine cheese for dinner that night along with some spaghetti and zucchini I cooked. We also happened to roll by the train station to see if I could get to Rome for the next few days to finish out my vacation, but the lady said there were no tickets and offered other (more expensive ways) to get to Rome. We told her that I didn't need to get to Rome, just somewhere nice and for cheap, so she looked and some decent tickets to Geneva popped up! Ok, so I'm going to Geneva... that's why that night as well as the next morning I spent lots of time learning about this city and looking for places to stay. My tickets were for 1PM so I mostly chilled on Thursday morning and headed out that afternoon for a looong train ride across pretty much all of France.
Pictures:
No comments:
Post a Comment