Saturday, May 3, 2008

Aran Islands

On our second to last Monday, we finally made a trip out to the Aran Islands. I had been there with my family, but had only a chance to bike from the port on the main island of Inis Mor to an ancient cliff fort known as Dun Aonghasa (Done Angus). Then, my dad, brother and I had tired ourselves out on the hills but enjoyed seeing the terrain up close.
This time, I got to go back with Maren, Leanna, and Kelsie (Ben was still in Dublin with his parents) and so we took the tour bus so we got to see more of the island. We still spent plenty of time at Dun Aonghasa and I got to play closer to the cliffs without my dad and brother being all worried ;-). There was a lady who got really afraid as she saw us dangling our legs over the edge and so we moved back until she left. But soon enough we were taking pictures while jumping in the air right by the cliff. For one of them Maren and I tried to jump and kick at the same time and our feet caught- down she went! There was a huge collective gasp from the crowd of tourists who had been eyeing us and immediately assumed that I had kicked Maren over the edge to plummet 300 feet to her death. Silly tourists, we were plenty far away from the edge! It was hilarious though and she just stood up muddy while the more conservative sightseers shook their head in despair for this lost generation. Hahaha!
Other highlights included Maren's first Magnum ever- a mint one and us wading barefoot in the bay before we caught the ferry home.

It was such a beautiful day and the clouds were enormous and poofy and the sky a deep blue with bright green grass. A wonderful relaxing time of fun with friends before I finish all this crazy homework and have to go back to the States.



No comments: