Friday, February 4, 2011

Support Letter

My team has met once so far and they seem like a great group. One of the students is helping lead; her name is Megan Weinhandl and she has gone to Russia with this trip before. I have not yet met the Jurgensons (the couple with the Boaz Project who are leading the trip with me) but Megan has worked and lived with them here and abroad and I've heard great things about them.

Taylor World Outreach has equipped us with support letters which my students are mailing out to all of their supporters as we try to raise funds. Though I don't need to raise funds myself, I thought I'd give you a copy to see what it looks like. I am sending a few hard copies to people, but since I'm not seeking financial support those will be few. Those will be in the mail early next week. If you don't have one by next weekend and you really, really want one, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

So here's the official business:


February 2011

Dear Friends,

Annually, Taylor World Outreach sponsors short-term mission projects over spring break. This year (March 18-27), teams will be traveling to the Costa Rica, Daytona Beach, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Michigan, Poland, Russia, Tennessee, Indianapolis and Grant County, Indiana. I am excited that I’ve been selected for the Russia mission team.

I am grateful for this opportunity to serve with fifteen other Taylor students and three leaders from The Boaz Project. We will travel to Russia to help some of the 1,000,000 children who overcrowd the orphanages. Our team will work hand in hand with the Boaz Project (you can learn more about them by visiting www.boazproject.org) in the Vladimir region of Russia, conducting Vacation Bible Schools and building relationships with orphans through crafts, games, music and more. We hope to share Christ’s love with these orphans as we develop friendships and bring God’s Word to them. In addition, each team member will be paired up with a Russian interpreter for a majority of each day spent there. We hope to build friendships and share Christ’s love with our interpreters throughout the week.

I am inviting you to join our team by praying for this ministry. Here are a few ways in which you can pray with us:
1. Pray for those to whom & with whom we will minister. Pray that the orphans we meet will be open to the message of Jesus Christ. Many of them have endured tragic circumstances, hazing, and lonliness. Also pray that the missionaries and orphanage workers with whom we will be working will be encouraged in the Lord to continue their work.
2. Pray for our team. Pray that we will adjust to the time change quickly and have endurance, so that we may make the most of the time we are given. Ask the Lord to help our relationships with one another to be full of grace. Pray also that we will be able to present the Gospel in creative ways, and to communicate effectively with the people of Russia.
3. Pray that our team will be able to raise the support needed for this mission project. As a team of 20 we need to raise $44,000 to pay for expenses which include transportation, food, and ministry supplies.

Will you prayerfully consider joining us with a financial contribution? By giving a gift you will be part of this ministry, like the Macedonians who supported Paul’s missionary trips. It is clear in Philippians 4:17 that Paul took the blessing that comes from giving very seriously.

If you choose to participate financially, please make your check payable to Taylor World Outreach (do not list my name anywhere on the check). Complete and detach the perforated tab and mail it along with your contribution in the enclosed envelope. You can also give online by choosing the link to “Giving” at http://www.taylor.edu/springbreak. Contributions are tax deductible.

For more information about Taylor University Spring Break Missions and updates on the Russia project, go to http://www.taylor.edu/springbreak.

Thank you for your prayer support and gifts. I am excited to see what the Lord will do in the lives of the people and in me through this spring break mission in Russia.

Remember, I am not raising funds myself, but if you do give in my name, it will cover any deficit my team may still have so don't feel like you're not allowed to give. Thank you so much for your continued prayers and support!

No comments: