In the past few days I have jumped right back into the spring semester: beginning classes, finish my thesis and starting the job application process. In the midst of all of it, I've had time to reflect on my time in Ecuador and I wanted to send you a final report of the trip as a whole.
I had wanted to lead this trip because of my desire to be involved in missions and my love for working with and ministering to college students. The Lighthouse program is such an excellent piece of the Taylor experience and I was so blessed to be an integral part of it this year. One of my main interests in higher education is how students develop spiritually and how a ministry experience can affect that... in fact that is the subject of my thesis! So being a part of helping students grow through ministry was a very rewarding and informational experience for me.
While many of the students may have been most affected by the culture, our living conditions, or the locals they ministered to, it was them (our students) who were my main focus and what affected me most. Being a leader in an international service-learning trip seems to be just what I was made for! I appreciated the freedom I had to make decisions and the trust I could build with the students. I loved watching them be exposed to new things and stretching themselves physically and mentally so much that they often surprised me in what they were capable of. They were such a flexible group and mature enough to step up when I needed help.
Of course one of the defining characteristics of this trip was the first week when my friend and co-leader Kristin was taken out of the equation by her unfortunate anti-malaria medicine. It was certainly a challenge for me to shoulder the responsibility alone, but that challenge actually energized me and I think with God's support helped me step up to be an even better leader. But it was evident that I couldn't do it alone and I was grateful when Kristin was able to return to us... I would not have been able to sustain myself at that rate for too long.
Overall, the cultural experience was a bit different for me. It was an entirely new country, continent and people, but having traveled extensively before it wasn't shockingly outlandish as things can be the first few times you leave your homeland. I loved the warmth, hospitality and excitement of the people we met in Ecuador and I loved their food! I personally had to get around my own obstacle of being so clock oriented when they are not. But mostly the Ecuadorian experience was sidelined to my experience as a leader of a great group of students.
I learned most to rely on God. I've led in difficult situations enough to know the futility of trying to do something on your own, but this is was one more experience that gave me a full knowledge that God is sufficient for all needs. His goodness guided us through so many things that could have gone awry and (as one of the humans responsible for any awry-ness) I was grateful for His persistence in protecting us.
Thank you so much for your prayers and financial support! I know (and I mean really know) that your prayers helped me immensely. So many of you have prayed for me in the past and I love that I can count on you for that. My life would be so different without you! And even though as a leader I did not need to raise money, thank you to those of you who donated! It means so much to my team (who is still a bit short, by the way). If you still feel led, you can be a blessing to my poor college students who may have to pay the deficit out of pocket unless you contribute by February 29! You can donate online at the Taylor Lighthouse website here.
I had wanted to lead this trip because of my desire to be involved in missions and my love for working with and ministering to college students. The Lighthouse program is such an excellent piece of the Taylor experience and I was so blessed to be an integral part of it this year. One of my main interests in higher education is how students develop spiritually and how a ministry experience can affect that... in fact that is the subject of my thesis! So being a part of helping students grow through ministry was a very rewarding and informational experience for me.
While many of the students may have been most affected by the culture, our living conditions, or the locals they ministered to, it was them (our students) who were my main focus and what affected me most. Being a leader in an international service-learning trip seems to be just what I was made for! I appreciated the freedom I had to make decisions and the trust I could build with the students. I loved watching them be exposed to new things and stretching themselves physically and mentally so much that they often surprised me in what they were capable of. They were such a flexible group and mature enough to step up when I needed help.
Of course one of the defining characteristics of this trip was the first week when my friend and co-leader Kristin was taken out of the equation by her unfortunate anti-malaria medicine. It was certainly a challenge for me to shoulder the responsibility alone, but that challenge actually energized me and I think with God's support helped me step up to be an even better leader. But it was evident that I couldn't do it alone and I was grateful when Kristin was able to return to us... I would not have been able to sustain myself at that rate for too long.
Overall, the cultural experience was a bit different for me. It was an entirely new country, continent and people, but having traveled extensively before it wasn't shockingly outlandish as things can be the first few times you leave your homeland. I loved the warmth, hospitality and excitement of the people we met in Ecuador and I loved their food! I personally had to get around my own obstacle of being so clock oriented when they are not. But mostly the Ecuadorian experience was sidelined to my experience as a leader of a great group of students.
I learned most to rely on God. I've led in difficult situations enough to know the futility of trying to do something on your own, but this is was one more experience that gave me a full knowledge that God is sufficient for all needs. His goodness guided us through so many things that could have gone awry and (as one of the humans responsible for any awry-ness) I was grateful for His persistence in protecting us.
Thank you so much for your prayers and financial support! I know (and I mean really know) that your prayers helped me immensely. So many of you have prayed for me in the past and I love that I can count on you for that. My life would be so different without you! And even though as a leader I did not need to raise money, thank you to those of you who donated! It means so much to my team (who is still a bit short, by the way). If you still feel led, you can be a blessing to my poor college students who may have to pay the deficit out of pocket unless you contribute by February 29! You can donate online at the Taylor Lighthouse website here.
No comments:
Post a Comment