I had 10-12 off today so I took a bit of time to read, nap and I tried to go for a walk, but it was too windy and cold, so I kicked a bit of dirt at some swans and headed back. I was on dishes from 12-2 so I didn't get to see any of the lunch rush which was kinda sad because I didn't get to interact with the customers, but it's still fun in the back because you can joke with people. Class today was with Kelly instead of Arden which was interesting because first off Ben was so tired that it took him 20 minutes into class to realize that it wasn't Arden (they don't even look that much alike) and Kelly's just a character straight from Kentucky with lots of random Southernisms that seem so out of place here. He's a good guy though even with his random laugh and confusingly simple questions. I didn't agree with everything he had to say, but I really liked the way he started off his closing prayer: "Lord help them to forget everything I said today, but to remember everything You said." I think that's a really good point for all of us, because I know I get lots of stuff wrong and even when working in God's service I can mess it up.
After class, I wasn't on clean up duty so I just chilled for a bit, reading some and listening to music, then about an hour after we closed I went down to see what people were up to and saw that there were still a few customers hanging about- three college age kids. The girl came up to me and told me to sit down. I asked her name (Mary Ellen) and she promptly asked for my life story. "So Ben, you were born and then what happened?" Not even kidding. I didn't know what to say... I think I mumbled something about being a rambunctious kid and going to school to learn my multiplication tables when she got distracted by some of Paul's antics. Anyway, she and her friends Ciaran and Kev were just chillin and happened to be messing around with a tract that we have here. It starts off with a quiz asking if you have perfectly kept all 10 commandments, then helps us realize that none of us have and don't deserve heaven... but wait! Jesus passed the test and wants us to take his perfect 10 out of 10 score! Isn't that awesome!? You know, that kind of thing. Anyway, they didn't really read it all through and kept getting hung up on how impossible it was to keep the Commandments. We tried to talk to them about it, but they kept joking and eventually one of their favorite songs came on and they sang and danced and were gone. I guess it can't all happen in an evening, but I prayed for them and hope they come back and maybe can continue the conversation more seriously. They're a good bunch though, lots of fun to talk to.
After everything was really closed up, some ofus went into town to get Butler's chocolate (to die for) then a bit of shopping. I found where I can buy a new memory card, and I think I'll do it Saturday when I can go to the ATM to get euros. Ben and I hung out with Paul most of the time. Paul is a sweet guy and he looks and sort of acts a bit like Dustin Montgomery- one of my favorite people I haven't seen for a while. Consequently, I like Paul but I hope to get to know him better so it's not just the Dustin in him that I enjoy. You know how it goes.
I'm gonna try to get to bed earlier tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment