Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Proposal

I promised that I would post on what my ministry proposal would be like. The proposal is an official Word Made Flesh thing that I have to submit before I go. I'm to identify a need and propose a way to minister to that need- something that the staff here can consider for real work to be done on in the future. It's a good way for them to get fresh perspectives and new ideas, and good for us to think critically about what we see around us.
My idea has to do with getting the Lighthouse youth involved in service. Allow me to quote briefly from what I've already written in the proposal draft.

The purposes of my proposal will be two-fold: to teach the Lighthouse youth a more holistic and natural form of service for the Kingdom of God and also to open up greater opportunities for cross-cultural relationships and a better understanding of the global church. These goals will be accomplished by a missions and service program that include gaining a deeper understanding of the theology behind the servant's heart, real-world experience in service, and an intentional and moderated cross-cultural discussion of these ideas and their manifestations.


Mostly, I think it's a good idea (if we're trying to help the poor redeem their identity from what society tells them they are, to an identity in Christ as children of God) to help them learn that they are blessed to bless others. I think it's the next step in the growing process- to pass on what we've tried to give them. The cross-cultural aspect is still in the works but the point is to help them see beyond their street and beyond Freetown and see their part in the global church and feel that sense of worth as they communicate as peers with other Christians without that stigma of "being the poor".

It's a work in progress. It's gonna be like five pages when it's done and probably pretty boring, so I won't post the whole thing, but if you want to see it email me and I'll send a copy.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Of course I would love to read every word of it!! But then again, you knew that! love, mom