The harmattan (dry wind from the Sahara) came through and I started to get a cold but on Friday we took off to River Number Two! Cami has been to some of the best beaches in Thailand, New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, California, the Caribbean, and more and she says that the beach at River No. 2 is her favorite! And with good reason- the finest, whitest sand I've seen yet and a steep slope down to the water which made for some killer waves. At low tide they'd break far out and roll perfectly in (great for body boarding) and at hide tide, they'd reach up the slope of sand, then crash back with such force that the next wave would be pushed twice as high as it normally would have been. It was awesome- I played hard and got my self beaten and battered by the waves, just the way I like it.
But I played too hard for having a fresh cold and it ended up taking it's toll that evening as I developed a very high fever that night and Cami made me stay at her house. She was very nice and helped make me comfortable but I ended up having to miss the wedding and not being able to say goodbye to everyone. It was sad.
But it came with some good memories too. The night before as my fever was raging, Joseph M. was helping out around Cami's house and she sent him to buy a bucket of water so I could shower and get my fever down. I remember watching him come up the stairs with the water balanced on his head and I realized that I had come here to (among many other things) serve him and here he was loving me right back. He's always called me "my brotha!" and as he left that night, it was much more meaningful to me after I had seen how much he wanted to help me feel better.
The fever disappeared soon and I'll be good to travel in a few days, but it's gonna be hard to say goodbye to everyone. And yet, I'm so pumped to get home!
No comments:
Post a Comment