I figure I'd better give a bit of a description of where I live. Freetown is (as the WMF handbook says) a major urban center in the Third World and so I imagine that it is actually more or less like you imagine it from that description.
It's loud, reeks of pollution, full of poor and rich people, has horrendous traffic, and there is no place at all to be alone. When you walk down the street, one must be super-attentive. Cars brush by inches away, honking everytime they get near a person (which is every other second) and the sidewalks sport gaping holes that look down to the drainage system. Freetown was well equipped to handle the rain it gets with deep gutters and covered tunnels that double as sidewalks, but these are in terrible disrepair. It's easy to get lost or simply not see the city because you must keep your eyes down to keep from falling waist deep in a hole. When it's really raining it's impossible to tell the difference between a shallow puddle and a deep entrance to a gutter- a couple small children slipped into a gutter during a major rain the other day and were sucked under and drowned.
When it rains that much, the streets turn to red rivers that flow out into the sea. Some of the major roads are paved, but most (like mine) are red dirt with chuncks of decades old asphalt poking out. My Chacos have taken on a dingy reddish appearance because I walk so much on my road by the Freeman's.
When I was preparing for Freetown, I had read that they get 300 inches of rain in August which I had a hard time believing. I don't anymore. It's true. And yet today we have a sunny day (at least for the morning) but it will rain again soon. It's always humid and very hot when the sun is out (though today is the first day I've seen the sun since the airplane). During rain temperature is typically in the low 80s which I appreciate.
This post is getting long, but I had some questions to answer. Speaking of which, if you want to know anything, just add a comment below and post your question there and I'll try to answer it in my next post.
Thank you for all your prayers! They really are making a difference!
No comments:
Post a Comment