Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hello from Sierra Leone!

My friends, family, and wonderful supporteres, forgive me for the technical difficulties I have expereienced over the past few days. I spent thousands of leones waiting for this site to load (don't be too stressed about that money though, it was probably only like 60 cents) and now I can finally let you all know how things are.

The trip was good (loooong but good) and we arrived in Freetown after taking the ferry across the bay after dark. I live in a poor neighborhood (but not a slum) in a small compound run by and elderly couple. Erik and I share a small corner where we have our own gate (and therefore some privacy) and a little room about 6x15. The girls are further out of town with a nice lady named Auntie Sally and some people she lives with.

At first, I was tired, a bit culture shocky and I missed everybody. The first night was rough, but since meeting more of the staff and hearing about what we're going to be doing, I feel much more at home. We're spending most of our mornings to ourselves (but optional prayer and praise time with the staff on Tuesdays and Wednesdays) After lunch we will go to our Krio lessons, then tutor from mid afternoon until dinner. Fridays are days off, Saturdays are for ultimate frisbee on the beach, and Sundays for church and a long lunch.

But all of that is starting next week. This week has been all orientation: learning the city, customs, having lunch with staff members. We've actually had a lot of free time where we just sit around and talk in cafes or whatever and I think it's really good to ease into all of this.

In the meantime, I know I just threw a lot of info at you, but in short my team is great and while I'm not used to living in a city (or constantly nearly getting hit by cars) I'm really liking Freetown. The food is great and Mama Freeman makes Erik and I really tasty dinners. Well that's all for now. more will come later as I actually begin the above described schedule.

No comments: