Sunday, August 23, 2009

Intentional Poverty

It sucks.

One of the main components of this trip is that I am voluntarily and intentionally living in poverty as a form of solidarity with the poor to whom we are ministering.

For the past few days my compound has been without water and I've been hydrating myself from these awful stale tasting bags of water that we buy really cheap and taking bucket showers (that is, pouring maybe a little more than a pint of water over my head). When the electricity is out at the same time as the water it's impossible to stay cool and to sleep. The worst part about all of it is that a nicer place is well within what I can afford and I could have all the showers and fans I want. It's exasperating.
But as I was writing about this the other night, I realized that Christ "did not consider equality with God something to be grasped at" and He could have called down legions of angels to save Him from the Cross, but He didn't. He chose to suffer with those whom He loves and the thought that I am trying to follow Christ's incarnational footsteps makes this intentional poverty so much more feasible.
Please pray for me as a continue to struggle with this. Not that I have water or electricty, but that I learn to be okay with not having it and that that change of attitude will help me connect better with these people.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ben,

So far, I have been awakened every night since you left with the need to pray for you. I will spend more time in intentional prayer. Thank you for sharing your specific prayer needs.

love, mom

Jason Chenoweth said...

Ben,

thanks for listening to Christ in your discomfort. it's real, and definitely tough, but by listening to Him in the midst of it, you are being more like Him than ever before. I'm praying for you, and am so proud to have you as my brother in Freetown. Christ is already using you in ways you can't see. be faithful.

Always learning,

Jason Chenoweth

Brittany said...

Hey friend,

I can totally relate with what you're going through. Rest assured that you are and will continue to be in my prayers. God's grace is sufficient even when (or maybe especially when) things are tough. He is strong when we are weak. Keep listening to His voice. I know that you being there is making a difference. I pray that God will move drastically in your life and the peoples' lives around you.

Keep walking in faith!
Britt

LK Gougler said...

Dear Ben,
This is Krysta's Mom and I hope it is an encouragement to know that we are praying for our sweet daughter (of course) but also for your entire team. I so admire you all for your committed hearts.
Linda

LK Gougler said...

Dear Ben,
We are so impressed with what your team is doing for the people in Freetown, hope you can feel our prayers covering you all.
Linda