Friday, October 23, 2009

Dublin

Well, it's really more Doobleen here, just so you don't think I somehow went to Ireland. Dublin is the northern most of the Banana Islands that our team stayed on this week. It was as beautiful and relaxing as you can imagine a retreat on a tropical island off the coast of West Africa could be. The road there was marvelously paved and the boat ride (in pretty much a large canoe with a motor) took only 45 minutes. The island of course has no cars or roads, but all the narrow footpaths have street names (ie Wharf Street where we landed, etc.) We were led through the tiny village to a little area by the beach that our host family owns. Dalton is the proprietor and it's run by him, his wife Deborah, daughter Daltina, son Dalton Jr., and youngest son Darlington. Awesome names.
Our beach was a bit rocky so we had about a ten minute walk through the woods to the next beach over, inhabited by some Latvian fishermen. We'd play there all day and come back to fresh caught fish and noodles. Our menu was determined by whatever Dalton could catch that day and unfortunately he never could get a hold of any lobster.
Our living accomodation were these huge huts that were super humid inside and my light switch didn't work so I'd just have to wait until Dalton turned off the generator each night. We also had lots of bats and bugs in there (but thankfully good mosquito nets) and I most unfortunately saw the largest spider I've ever seen, zoos, TV, and movies included. It was awful. Including the legs it was four or five inches in diameter and super hairy. I have a picture of it, but I can't look at it. Erik got it out with a stick and he told me later that the thing reared up on it's back legs like a horse and you could see it's fangs.

But I dwell on the spider too much. It was a short (though horrible) episode but it didn't ruin the wonderfulness of the retreat. Part of what we were doing was to focus on our ministry here now that we're done with Krio lessons and have more time. I felt that I got a good understanding of my direction and we'll see where it takes me in the next few weeks. Also gained an appreciation for the comforts of the Freeman's compound and my own bed there, so it's good to be "home" sometimes too.

No comments: