Thursday, October 1, 2009

Parties

On Wednesday we had our monthly "reward day" for the kids who do well in attendance and behavior in tutoring. We all gathered at the youth center downtown and we got snacks and soda, while Erik brought out his colorful parachute and we played different games with that. I think the kids mostly enjoyed hanging out, eating and talking though. They are after all teenagers.
One of my favorite parts however, was seeing the new neck tie that Sheku had made for me. I had him make a messenger bag a month or so ago with some blue, orange, and yellow material and when he had leftovers I asked him to be creative and make something else. It's a cotton tie and it doesn't have a lot of body, but it's definitely the loudest, flashiest, and probably most foolish tie I've ever owned. I probably looked like a fool wearing it in my white polo yesterday, but that's what I do at parties for kids and teens- act like a fool. It reminded me of Crazy Dinner night at camp.

That was the big highlight of this week. Tomorrow, maybe Saturday we plan on going up to the US Embassy that's built like a castle on top of the mountain to see if they'll let us in- just for fun ,to see the library and maybe the swimming pool. Should be fun! :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope Erik posts a picture of you wearing your new tie!! love, mom