Yesterday was a red letter day. Not only did it mark both the halfway point for our trip here (and my eight month anniversary with my girlfriend, Kelsie) but it was also the first day here that I was never called "Wayt boy" or some other deritive of it. Why's that? Oh, that's just because I didn't leave my compund all day... And why's that? Oh, I was sick... And why's that you ask? Because Marc, our friend from Cote D'Ivoire who had just opened a restaurant and really wanted us to eat there had served us under-cooked chicken. I stopped eating as soon as I realized some of the parts were pink but apparently it was too late. Krysta got really sick too and we spent the day evacuating our innards from top to bottom. How nice.
The funny thing is, that (just like the day I had that fever a month ago) I felt that I was able to have some of my most meaningful and initmate conversations with God. Maybe it was a combination of the suffering and the lack of busyness, but I really appreciated it. I wonder if I should want to suffer more often if it will precipitate that kind of closeness with God, but I'd rather pray that I can learn to speak with Him that well even when things are going well.
Also, since I know you're curious... I'm all better now and alive thanks to some horrible tasting rehydration salts. Thanks God and the World Health Organization!
2 comments:
Hey Ben - you don't know me, but I found your blog through Faye's. My husband and I were on the last ST there. I believe that we stayed in the same place, as the Nissi Pentecostal Church sounds all too familiar!
Anyhow - I love reading your blog. It brings back so many memories! Hope you guys are enjoying Banana Island - we sure did!
Hey Ben,
Just wanted you to know I'm praying with and for you. Kelsie is doing well in class, no surprise there. We found out her youth pastor in Kenya is a great friend of mine. Too funny.
Let me know what I can be praying for specifically if you'd like.
Post a Comment