Friday, April 1, 2011

Journal Excerpt: March 23

"The schedule for today was very much different.  We went to a concert put on by disabled children at the invitation of the Barskoye director.  It was really fun and folksy, centering heavily on Russian national pride.  One act was a blind boy who sang about being able to see and feel the music.  It was a touching song.  He got the loudest and longest applause to which he gave the most enormous smile.
We spent the rest of our afternoon trekking through rain to see downtown Vladimir.  We saw the Golden Gates, an 11th century fortress and the Cathedral of the Assumption.  ...  Finally, we joined the teams who worked at the Vladimir Children's Home for their afternoon session.  I got to go with the three year olds who were very cute.  Knowing I had only a couple of hours, I just threw myself into playing with them.  We drew pictures, tickled, I carried them around, and delighted them by dramatically losing at tug-o-war over and over again.
The walk back to our hotel was a major slush-fest.  I remarked to one of our local friends that when I heard the kids in the concert this morning singing about the mighty rivers of Russia, I had no idea that they were talking about Vladimir's sidewalks."

No comments: