Sunday, January 22, 2012

Evenings in Cuenca

My team was somewhat tired after our hectic schedule in Guabo so we were glad that evenings in Cuenca would be a little bit more chill.  But as it turns out, they just love each other and wanted to do stuff.  So much to the distress of people needing us to drive us somewhere, our students usually planned something on their own.  One night, some of us went to a restaurant up on the hillside; another night we all met at one of the host homes for games and tea.  And then, on Thursday night, I went out with the guys and a few adventurous girls and we had a traditional Ecuadorian dish: cuy.  Cuy is what they call guinea pig.

It was really good!  It was spiced wonderfully and had the consistency of chicken but tasted very different.  The skin was tough but very flavorful, but there was not much meat.  Chris and I shared the heart and the brain.  The heart tasted somewhat like liver and the brain has been accurately described by Mark as "smoked cream cheese".  Weird, I know... but it was a lot of fun!


Here we are at the restaurant: did I mention the excellent juice too?
The next picture is the actual guinea pig... just so you know if you think you might be squeamish.














No comments: